Sunday, June 14, 2009

Celebrating Children at Church

The kids participated in a special service celebrating children at church today. We celebrated all those who were graduating from high school and college, as well as some other milestones, like starting Jr. High and High School. The fourth graders were presented with their own Bibles. Those going on to college were presented with a special prayer shawl and wrapped in that and a giant hug as we sent them forth into their new destinations. The shawls were just beautiful. Some of the women in the church get together once a week for prayer and knitting. They were absolutely gorgeous and I wish I had taken a picture now to put them up on here.

They started the service with a special slide show of all the kids at various times. J and H were excited to see themselves up on the big screen!! We had picked up my grandma on the way, so it was extra special to have her there with us. She and my grandpa went to our church for about 30 years before my grandpa passed.

The kids all sang "This Little Light of Mine" with an electric candle. J recited a verse from memory. I was very impressed with him. He memorized the verse the first time he read it, and the location of the verse the second time. It was a different version of the verse than I remembered, but the translation is very clear and I thought it was a great one for them to assign J.

Proverbs 22:6
Point your kids in the right direction and when they grow up they will not get lost.

J delivered it so well, someone told me he sounded like a news caster!! LOL, I received many compliments on J!!

H was a little wild during the service today, but it did go on for 2 hours, so I think it was a little long for her.

We honored all the Sunday School teachers as well and there were a lot of special musical performances. There are so many accomplished musicians at our church, and this service was extra special. One of the highlights was a boy singing "You've got a friend". He sang at Pappa's funeral, so Nano and I both teared up at the memory. He has such a beautiful, deep voice and I really enjoyed hearing him sing this particular song.

His father and mother had been gardening with us the day before, and they promised H some strawberries out of their yard. H was so thrilled to see them!! J and H also received special thanks for helping out yesterday in the community garden during the service.

We ended the service by surrounding all the children in a circle and playing a beautiful song called "Find your Wings".

It's only for a moment you are mine to hold
The plans that heaven has for you
Will all too soon unfold
So many different prayers I'll pray
For all that you might do
But most of all I'll want to know
You're walking in the truth
And if I never told you
I want you to know
As I watch you grow

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings

May passion be the wind
That leads you through your days
And may conviction keep you strong
Guide you on your way
May there be many moments
That make your life so sweet
Oh, but more than memories

I pray that God will fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings

It's not living if you don't reach for the sky
I'll have tears as you take off
But I'll cheer as you fly

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings


To see the video or hear the song, copy and paste this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knm492yxMfo

It was such a remarkable service in every way and I'm so glad that we were all there to participate in it. I am just very happy to be involved in this church. I know it will be a very special place for J and H to grow up in. Seeing how well all the other kids had turned out today confirmed that 110%. Our church really surrounds the kids with love, and I think every child needs that in this world.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful... The song brought tears to my eyes... I'm so happy you had this day and I wish for you many, many more equally as wonderful..

    ReplyDelete