Friday, June 19, 2009

Beer Bus


This afternoon I went out on a beer bus with my office. I have worked at this mortgage company nearly 5 years now and I feel very comfortable with everyone. I am a very light drinker these days. It seems very little will undo me lately. So I stopped about 2 hours before we were due to get off the bus. And I drank a lot of water and ate dinner. (LOL I was the only one to order dinner, but I didn't care. I ate it, and I enjoyed it!) I am not an advocate of any sort of drunk driving. But I did have a great time on the bus!

Ironically, one of my mother-in-law's lovers turned out to be one of my managers. I did not know this for some time. But one Christmas party when we were all three sheets to the wind, he approached my husband to make amends. My husband was not drinking at that time, so I remember it vividly.

I think he meant well. I really do. At first, or I should say, for many years, I questioned his motives. But now, three years later, I know from day-in-day-out, he is a good guy.

So we were on this beer bus, maybe 35 of us, and we had a great time. I have struggled with working and not working. But the satisfaction I get from both my clients and the people I work with will carry me through a long way. They are family. They are good people.

There was a lot of teasing and a lot of laughing. Both of those things have been missing from my life for a long time. Even though I have worked, I have largely avoided social events. I have felt like I shouldn't go because my kids are young and those times will slip away all too soon.

But tonight, I felt, there is something to be said for being silly. For being happy. For being with one's peers.

And I was silly. I was happy. I giggled my ass off. And I don't regret it for one second.

But now my kids are coming up the drive with my mother and I am ecstatic to see them. My babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment