Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Email from my father-in-law Mon, 27 Aug 2007

I am thinking about you and your family again this morning.

I’m thinking about your priorities.

I believe that your first priority is to be the parents of your children. You made the choice to bring them into this world, it is your responsibility to teach them how to survive and thrive in it.
Your second priority is to make enough money to provide the best environment that you can afford for your family.

Everything after those are electives. Concerts, exchange students, golf, eating out, travel, etc.
I would suggest that you buy a few good books on parenting and then spend some time deciding on your family plan to raise your children. This would mean that you would talk about it together as a team, with being the best parents that you can be as a priority. Not just trying to be right or winning. I think that you are both smart people and that you bring different strengths to the table. It is important that you take the time to dialogue with each other and come up with a H’s Family Plan. It will take work but in addition to benefiting your kids, THE PROCESS WILL MAKE YOU A STRONG TEAM. That will result in a wonderful, strong, fulfilling marriage. (Take a minute to think about it. Isn’t that what would make you feel good.)
J.

Sula’s response – Is he crazy? I was at home taking care of these kids while my husband was out boozing it up. He was the worst parent himself – and he’s giving me parenting advice?

1 comment:

  1. I know this is wayyyy after the fact but this guy makes me want to vomit with his righteous, holier than thou self.. Sounds like my ex-father-in-law..
    Poor you..

    ReplyDelete