Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Dictionary


As I’ve mentioned before, both my husband and my father-in-law are in AA. My father-in-law has been going for like 20 years. I always find that strange, especially when they talk about making amends. Their definition must be very different from mine.

Last night, I was helping my son with his Taekwondo homework. It was the first time he needed to use a Dictionary to do something, so I taught him how to use one. We pulled out the old Dictionary my grandparents gave me when I was about 11. It’s still the one I go to. I remember I wasn’t very thrilled with that gift when I got it. But I sure have used it over the years, and I definitely appreciate it now.

I decided to look up one of my own words.

"Amend"

1 To improve. To remove the faults or errors of: to correct
2 To alter formally by adding, deleting or rephrasing
3 To better ones conduct: reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment