Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grandparents


I don't have any desire for my kids to be around my husband's family. If I, as a grown woman, have anxiety about being around them, how can my young children be expected to be around them?

For me, it goes back to what my son's counselor said a long time ago. "The way that they have treated both you and your husband is not a good indicator of how they will treat your children, even without the other examples you gave me of their behavior around the children."

I guess what is really bothering me is WHY my husband is pushing for this so hard.

In his own words, they have not even asked to see the kids while they are here this week. Prior to the blow up between me and my in-laws, they didn't see the kids more than 3-4 times a year. They are not like my parents, who see the kids weekly (or nearly daily in my mom's case).

So when I go back over our argument the other day, I can't understand why things escalated to that point when his parents had not even requested to see the kids. It was my husband that wanted them to see the kids. They did not ask to.

When I ask my kids if they would like to see them, 9 times out of 10, they say no.

What is it going to take for my husband to realize who they are? Do they have to physically abuse or hurt the kids first? Or will there still be money dangling out in front of him even then?

No comments:

Post a Comment