Monday, July 6, 2009

The Beach House


We had a nice time at the beach with my dad and his wife. I had some time to think about my life. I never sleep well there. I'm partial to my own bed and the comfort of my house. But it gives me a lot of time to ponder.

It seems we are always running from place to place. The kids do better when they are busy (and tired). So we go to the gym every day, and Taekwondo most days. This summer there will be swimming lessons, golf lessons, soccer, basketball, multi-sport camp, gymnastics and dance camps.

We live on a hill and the cars don't always slow down (or stay off their cell phones) so the kids are not able to play outside by themselves and riding bikes is just not possible. I was remembering being a little girl and not really having many activities. We just played outside. We had a huge backyard with a play structure and a playhouse. But our street was also flat and people were slower then, so we could wander to our hearts content.

I'd like to give my kids that same pleasure. Life is expensive in the suburbs. We drive around to multiple paid-for activities and a lot of the time I just feel tired. I miss living close to the city, where I could walk places or even take the train if I wanted to. I'm tired of my big Suburban. 13 miles to the gallon...

I want to live close enough to the kids schools so they can walk or ride their bikes. And for it to be safe enough for them to do that.

It was nice being at the beach house because things are considerably slower there. They don't watch TV or computer and the streets surrounding their subdivision are very quiet. My daughter spun around on a scooter while I walked beside her. My son looked so happy riding his bike. It seems amazing that he is 6 now and this is the first time he's really had for that.

We made most of our own meals and there wasn't even a fast food restaurant to tempt the kids. At night, my dad pulled out his guitar and sang. He took my son fishing. He did all the things I remember him doing with me when I was a little girl. And when we left, I felt very sad.

I am tired of texting and email and running around. It seems time to slow down.

4 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!! I know exactly how you feel and I have learned from being that "on the go Mom" with the "on the go kids" living in the suburbs and all of the busy-ness that goes with it. I call it static now and I have made the decision not to allow myself to pull my grandsons into that vortex of all things "fast and furious." I grew up very much the same Sula, very simple, very wonderful, very safe. I miss those days.. I'm so glad your children got to experience those wonderous moments.. Now they too will have the fond memories.. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days....we played outside without fear of being "taken"...we stayed outside from daylight to dark. I'm glad you and your children had a good time. It's good for them to slow down and just enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun... Come back to the City. You know... We live where it's flat. We bike to playdates. We do community dinners all the time. We miss you, and we'd love for our kids to get to know your kids better. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys too Barb! Miss it out there - wish I had never sold that house!!!!

    ReplyDelete