Saturday, May 15, 2010

Force

Today is my husband's birthday. We had a busy day planned but agreed that he would come and get the kids for a few hours. He wanted to take them to lunch and then to see his parents.

My daughter had been dreading this all day. When my husband arrived, he tried to force the issue.

I told him my grandmother had a suggestion. Our daughter is still very young. Forcing her at this age will only make things worse. Take it slow - let her work into it. She's still very young to go with him alone - when she is ready, she will want to. Right now, if she doesn't want to go, just take the boy.

I thought this made a lot of sense. My grandmother had 5 kids and many grandchildren. I respect her.

But for an hour, my husband continued to push my daughter, taking her several times anyway from me, with her kicking and screaming.

I tried to speak reasonably with him. He just doesn't seem to understand. He just wanted to keep standing there and debating it.

He had also arrived late, so by then it was 2pm and none of us had eaten lunch. I told him that in and of itself was not a good thing for any of us.

Our son had gotten in the car, but after 15 minutes of that, he ran out and stood by my daughter and I. He had decided that he did not want to go either.

I felt sorry for my husband. It was his birthday. I know his dad will give him hell, which probably put more pressure on him. But I do not believe forcing the kids to go with him is good for anyone.

He still believes it is - and called me afterwards to continue the argument. I told him I'd like to see our son's counselor together and get her professional opinion. He agreed to go, but continued to badger me.

I told him I had to go.

My life continues to get better and better as I focus on other things. But these arguments are very draining. I still have a lot to do for a fundraiser today, but quite honestly, I don't feel like doing a damned thing.

I guess that will probably be the best medicine for me. Seems like that is usually the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment