Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Death = Profit

It has been increasingly apparent to me with my grandfather's passing nearly 3 years ago and now my grandmothers, that death is very profitable.

In our culture, the most glorious burial is offered at a heightened profit. I would call it unethical advertising. In your state of grief, you are told if you really love someone, you will put them away this way.

This makes no sense to me. They are dead for God's sake! Does it really matter what sort of box they reside in?

In Islam, it is preferable to be buried directly into the ground. No preservatives are supposed to be used, so the funeral is usually very quick after the death. And it is a social and religious obligation to attend the mourning, if not the burial.

We have lost sight of that here with memorial services, elaborately planned weeks after someone dies, at great expense. We did that for my grandfather's service and it prolonged closure and healing. I am glad we did my grandmother's service sooner, but I was disheartened to see that they had used preservatives and chosen a fancy (metal of some sort?) casket. How will she ever return to the earth?

In Islam, if it is necessary to be buried in a casket - as is often the case in the United States where money rules - it is supposed to be the most simple and inexpensive cedar casket, that can be absorbed back into the earth.

What do all these modern environmentalists think about these caskets that will likely NEVER decompose? That cost upwards of $10,000? What for? What could be done with that $10,000?

Amazing things!

I'm sure the new trend will be expensive "environmentally friendly" caskets. How ridiculous it all is.

I told my dad last week I want nothing from my grandmother. When someone has given you so much of themselves, nothing monetary or of substance is necessary. I have my memories. I have my pictures. I have every letter and card she ever gave me since I was about 7-years-old. I have her love. I have her spirit.

I took her remaining jewelry that the family did not want to church on Sunday and let the women pick out one or two items they liked. It will be fun to see the remnants of my grandma on all the other women in the church who meant so much to her.

I hope when I die, my family respects my wishes as they are outlined in my will. I want to be buried simply, next to my grandparents, overlooking the country, with little fanfare. I do not want to be pumped with a single chemical - just as I try to live now. I believe our bodies are a sacred temple.

I hope that I live a life like my grandmother where my relatives are not fighting over my possessions after my death. I hope my remaining loved ones just feel lucky that they had me in their life. That is how I feel now about my grandma.

1 comment:

  1. http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FL_245.pdf

    Interesting article on death practices. I just went through this with my father. I agree with your observations
    -Jennifer B.

    ReplyDelete