Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

The streets of our city are lined with flags honoring local fallen soldiers. Below each flag lies pictures of at least 3 soldiers who have died in Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm sure it is meant to be supportive, but to me it serves as a reminder of the horrors of war.

I can't help but thinking what a waste of life - on our side, and theirs. It makes me very sad to think of it.

We stopped by to see my grandma today, who was married to my grandpa for 36 years. They met in Germany where her step dad and my grandpa were serving in the Army. She was a military wife, who travelled with my grandpa for many years before settling here nearly 50 years ago.

My grandpa retired from the Army after serving in 3 wars, and went on to work at the local Veterans Hospital. When he retired, there was nothing left for him. He died much too young, an alcoholic, after trying to kill himself at least once. I do not believe he was happy or at peace. And I can't help but think that his military service had a lot to do with that.

My grandma asked my son if he knew what Memorial Day was all about and he said no. I told her we were not really pro-military. (We spent last night re-reading Why War is Never a Good Idea.) But I could tell it was important to her so I didn't get into it with her. She proceeded to tell him, and then drill him to make sure he'd heard her.

It is a very complicated issue for me on so many levels. I wish we would get out of Iraq and Afghanistan. I can not stand behind a military that kills civilians. I can not get behind killing anyone, for that matter. I do not believe soldiers are heroes. Victims at times, yes. But rarely heroes.

A hero preserves life, not desecrates it.

I think our military is far too quick to disregard life, including that of our own soldiers. So, this day just makes me really sad.


"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment