Friday, May 21, 2010

Fit Parenting

My husband will pick up the kids this afternoon and take them for the weekend. It should go better because I will not be there for the transition.

I woke early this morning and have been stewing in bed. I don't want to give up my children. I spent 7 years trying to protect them from their dad. Now I'm supposed to just hand them over?

I think "no fault" divorce laws are bunk. There is certainly fault here, and it does not lie with me.

I received my draft of the divorce documents yesterday and I do not want to sign them. I want the divorce, but I don't agree to all of the terms. The mediator put in several things that we never talked about.

The document starts out to say that we both agree that we are both fit parents. Fit parents? When did I ever say my husband was a "fit" parent?

Does leaving me here with the kids waiting for him to come home all night long make a "fit" parent?

Is it having to explain to them over and over again where their daddy is and why he doesn't come home or pick them up when he says he will?

Does bringing cocaine into our house and leaving it out where the kids could have killed themselves make a "fit" parent?

Does driving drunk with all of us in the car make him a "fit" parent?

Does relapsing again and again make him a "fit" parent?

Does wasting every last cent we had make him a "fit" parent?

Does exposing the children to his abusive father make him a "fit" parent?

I could go on and on....

What is considered fit parenting by Oregon Law? I would sure like to know, because it certainly does not meet my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment