Saturday, August 29, 2009

Some wisdom from Michael J. Fox


Last week at church, the pastor read a quote from Michael J. Fox, so I made a note to myself to go back and read some of what he wrote. She actually talked about acceptance, but there were a lot of good things on this page, so I included a few of them here. I also thought it was interesting that he talks about stopping drinking, and how that was critical for him.

"That’s one of the things the illness has given me: It’s a degree of death. There’s a certain amount of loss, and whenever you have a loss, it’s a step toward death. So if you can accept loss, you can accept the fact that there’s gonna be the big loss. Once you can accept that, you can accept anything. So then I think, Well, given that that’s the case, let’s tip myself a break. Let’s tip everybody a break."

"My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations."

"Acceptance is the key to everything. Which isn’t to say that I’m resigned to it, or that I’ve given up on it, or that I don’t think I have any effect on the outcome of it. It’s just that, as a reality, I get it."

"If you don’t have someone calling you on your shit, you’re lost."

"Discipline is just doing the same thing the right way whether anyone’s watching or not."

"I make no bones about the fact that I stopped drinking. That was the key to everything. Until I did that, I just couldn’t have the clarity."

"I had to choose not to party anymore. I could’ve chosen to continue doing that, but that would’ve been destructive. Who wants to be a cliché?"

"No matter how much money you have, you can lose it."

"No matter how much fame you have, it’s not something that belongs to you. If I’m famous, that doesn’t belong to me -- that belongs to you. If you can’t remember who I am, I’m no longer famous."

- Michael J Fox

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/michaeljfox0108#ixzz0PaywZ0om

No comments:

Post a Comment