Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Ultimate Goal


Last night I started thinking of the purpose of this blog, and the purpose of my life really.

I want to raise healthy, addiction-free children.

All of my time and investment is in that. And at times I resent my husband and father-in-law, but I don't want that to cloud my true purpose.

It seems it is more important to them to demonize me and protect their money than to focus on these kids.

Next week, I will go back to work full-time. I have been gradually working towards that these last few weeks, but next week, both kids will be in school for 6-9 hours a day. My mother has once again stepped forward and offered to help in huge ways that I will never be able to repay her for.

It is going to be a huge adjustment for all of us, and at times I feel very sad and bitter about it. I don't want my 3-year-old in school all day. It seems way too young to me. But it seems there is no other option now.

My father-in-law pays my husband (and I believe his brother) more than $2,000 a month through his company just to fund a life insurance policy for him so he won't have to pay estate taxes when he dies. I imagine that's quite a policy. And quite a sum he feels he needs to protect.

I started thinking about that last night, and the fact that my father-in-law flippantly decided he didn't want to pay for my son's $2,000 a month school tuition.

He clearly has different values than me.

And while it does eat at me when I think about it, I really need to resist those moments and focus on my kids.

At the end of the day, if these kids end up with problems, I am always going to wonder what all of us could have done differently.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully this doesn't piss you off.

    If your son is 21 and isn't healthy, is it your fault? If your daughter is 28 and develops an addiction, were you a bad mom? Your husband is a man, not a child. It's his fault alone that he is unhealthy and an addict. Maybe his dad did suck as a parent, but Joe needs to suck it up and take responsibility for his own actions.

    Here's the part you might disagree with and I hope you know my intentions are good. You can't control whether you kids are healthy and addiction free. You can teach them. You can be a good role model. You can be a good mom. You can ensure that they have a healthy, addiction free mom. You can't control the path of your children; you can only give them the tools to make good choices and to live life on life's terms.

    I want to raise a healthy, addiction free child. But life gives me no guarantees and having lost a sibling to addiction years ago, I've come to accept that he chose his own path. I know that if one of your children or my child becomes unhealthy or an addict it won't be my fault or your fault.

    Your goal is noble, but I worry that you are setting yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see your point, and I don't take offense you to - I always appreciate your perspective.

    There are a lot of kids with drug and alcohol problems and their parents did everything right. Your brother was dear to me too, and I will always remember his sweet-natured self. XO

    However, that being said, that was not the case for my husband, and I think it has stunted him in many ways. I can think of very little (if anything) his parents did right.

    And I married into a family that has generations upon generations of addicts. And you can say that might be genetic, but in this case, I think it is more of an environmental issue.

    Yes, he is a man and his choices are his alone at this point. But I don't want the same life for my children that he had growing up and I want to set them up on the best path possible.

    ReplyDelete