Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hope for Today


A new friend emailed this to me and I decided to post it. Need to get back to reading these on a daily basis - they do help!

December 31 from Hope For Today (Alanon publication)

At my first Al-Anon meeting, I felt like a parched person drinking cold, refreshing water. With gratitude I took in the words of the Suggested Welcome and Closing. Every time I went to a meeting I'd close my eyes and let those precious words refresh me.

Years later I realized I was listening to Al-Anon's words of hope -- hope I could claim as my own, if I was willing to work the Steps. When I felt boxed in by despair, you assured me that no situation is really hopeless and I could find contentment, and even happiness, despite my alcoholic's drinking. When I felt worn out from replaying awful scenarios in my mind, you told me I could put my problems in their true perspective and they would lose their power to dominate. When I felt alone, you reminded me I wasn't. You pointed out my choices when all I knew were rules and appearances. I didn't have to agree to belong. I could take what I liked and leave the rest.

You even claimed that you already loved me in a special way, even tough I hated myself, and that I would learn to love you, too. You offered me sponsorship, hugs, and phone numbers even when I hadn't "earned" them. I didn't know what a loving interchange was, and you took the time to show me.

Thanks, Al-Anon, for the persistent repetition of these hope-filled words and actions. Gradually they came true for me. Now when I share them with others, I have the joy of seeing them come alive again.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

When I count my blesings, I remember to count Al-Anon's gift of hope.

"If you try to keep an open mind, you will find help. you will come to realize that there is no situation too difficult to be bettered and no unhappiness too great to be lessened."
Suggested Al-Anon/Alateen Closing

No comments:

Post a Comment