Friday, April 17, 2009

The Poem

This is the poem that I sent to my father-in-law, after I found my husband's cocaine in our home.

If my daughter-in-law called me to tell me my son was using cocaine
I would listen to her
Embrace her
Ask how I could help
Empathize
Be there
Immediately
Fly out on the next flight if I had to
(In the middle of the night.)
I would hug my son until he started sobbing
He would know that I love him
He would know it, damn it.
I would just hold him
Until he felt it
Until he told the truth
Even if it took all night
Even if it took all week
Even if it took the rest of my life
To make up for what I hadn't done.

If my daughter in law called me, sobbing, shaking, desperate;
I wouldn't make her feel like a nobody.
I would tell her
I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment