Monday, April 27, 2009

Acceptance

About 6 months ago, a AA member spoke at my Al-Anon meeting about acceptance. He said something that has stayed with me. He said, whenever he has a problem in his life, it is about acceptance - and he quoted page 448 in the Big Book. When I got home, I asked my husband to get it for me so I could read it myself.

It is so true.

"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could no stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes. "

3 comments:

  1. Excellent quote and it really applies to life in general. I can apply that to any problem I encounter- Thanks. I'd like to present two blogger buddy awards to you. To claim them go to my site and copy my award post or just save the buttons and add to ur site :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't the situation/event that changes us, it is the irrational belief we form around the event, or situation that causes us to live in denial. Sometimes those beliefs go way back. If I insist that my life should be a certain way and it isn't then I often try and force it to be as I demand or think it should. It's in the forcing that we lose perspective and harm ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete