Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Father-in-Law

The kids are going to see my father-in-law tonight for dinner with my husband. I have been thinking about this since yesterday because this would usually upset me.

But the divorce is nearly over and it seems so is most of the sting of our relationship.

I've realized that the hardest thing for me to accept about my father-in-law was how he treated me as a daughter-in-law.

He didn't treat me the way I would ever want to treat my daughter-in-law. And I had high expectations based on my relationship with my first father-in-law in Lebanon.

But removing this title of "Father-in-Law" from him, seems to have lowered my expectations for him.

I can look at him as just a man, instead of my father-in-law. And somehow, that makes a huge difference for me.

More specifically, he is the grandfather of my children, and that makes me want a better relationship for their sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment