Sunday, April 11, 2010

Celebrating Tonight


I was pissed off earlier by some unnameables. I had a 40th birthday party to go to this evening with some dear friends. I almost missed it, but I am so glad I went.

There was a time in my life where I skipped out on a lot of fun times because of drama. I no longer let that dictate my life.

I am beginning to see only the good in my life. There is too little time to worry about people who are petty. I have wonderful friends and family, and for that, I am so grateful.

I am finally moving away from every toxic person in my life. There were several I was still clinging on to. I am a sentimental person. But I will not let my sentiments get in the way of my own happiness or that of my children.

Some people are so dysfunctional that they can't let a friendship go without trying to bring down that person. But you can not bring down someone who is deeply rooted in love, spirituality, family and friendship.

You can try to cut down the tree, but the roots remain. Some people never go any deeper than the trunk, and the tree can come down easily with no consequence. They have built their life on nothing and have little to show for themselves. They live off of others. They have nothing left but to try to gossip about and bring other people down to their low level.

Those people no longer exist to me.

I had a wonderful time tonight. And it came prefaced with some tears. But in that time I realized who my friends are. That was a lesson my mother's father told me as a child. But I did not fully see it until tonight. There is nothing like laughter, love, food and wine with those you love, and who love you, as you are.

So tonight I celebrate my dear friend's 40th and my own new journey.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Sula. I have found that people who behave that way are unhappy and not always malicious. Glad to see you made the best of things.
    -Laurie

    ReplyDelete