Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pets in Alcoholic Homes


I started thinking about our dog Gus the other day. I have always believed that animals reflect their owners.

Our dog, who is a Yorkie-Chihuahuas mix, is very nervous. My husband always says there is something wrong with him. Often times, I have thought that myself.

I began to wonder yesterday how being around alcoholism has affected him. He was born into this just like our children. It seems natural that this would affect his personality, and sad that we would blame him for it.

I bought the dog as a gift for my husband when I was pregnant with our son. I spent many a night snuggling that dog and crying myself to sleep.

After our son was born, the dog got less attention. And our house was rarely peaceful.

It would be interesting to see if there are other studies about this and if there is "recovery" for dogs. For now, I'm going to make sure to give Gus a little more attention and love. He sure has licked many of my tears away.

No comments:

Post a Comment