Friday, March 12, 2010

Weeding out what doesn't support our values

I have been doing a lot with weeding out all my extras in my life these last few years. It started several years ago with the budget. I thought months ago I was down pretty good, but I decided last night there was more I could cut. I want to be comfortable, without the stress of worrying every month. No "extra" is worth that.

Every night, I read to my kids. Usually I get a few good books in, but a lot of it is "junk". It struck me last night that I am the parent and I have more control than I give myself credit. After the kids went to bed, I took all of the books out that I didn't feel represented my values. That was most of them. I put them under my daughters bed for now, and if there is a major meltdown about one or two, they might magically reappear. But my kids are bombarded with messages that don't support their growth, and books should be a more positive aspect.

I am also getting rid of the cable. These last few weeks especially, I have noted that my kids are always asking for things. And they always want food that is not good for them.

I have been tired and overworked as a single mom, so a lot of this has slid, especially lately. But not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment