Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Glass Castle

One of my oldest and dearest friends recommended The Glass Castle, and I finally got around to reading it a few days ago. I have been sick and read it all in a couple days.

It amazed me how similar alcoholic families are. That always amazes me, no matter how many Al-Anon meetings or stories I hear, they are all so very sad and similar.

I found this passage particularly touching, although there were many I could quote.

"Poor mom," Lori finally said. "She's got it tough."

"No tougher than the rest of us." I said.

Yes, she does," Lori said. "She's the one who's married to Dad."

"That was her choice," I said. "She needs to be firmer, lay down the law for dad intead of getting hysterical all the time. What dad needs is a strong woman."

"A caryatid wounldn't be strong enough for Dad."

"What's that?"

"Pillars shaped like women," Lori said. "The ones holding up those Greek temples with their heads. I was looking at a picture of some the other day, thinking, Those women have the second toughest job in the world."

-Jeannette Walls

No comments:

Post a Comment