Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rewritting the 12 Steps for Women

"We refuse to embrace any set of principles based on the belief in our fundamental sinfulness and defectiveness, or on the necessity of ego-deflation, humiliation, or the surrender of our natural impulses. Instead, we reframe them to reflect our commitment to self-celebration. For example, women are rewriting the Twelve Steps based on their belief in original goodness. Each step now answers the question, "What's good and right about us?" and affirms our natural impulse toward healing and wholeness.

Step 1 as written: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable.

As rewritten: I do not have all the resources I need to deal with my alcoholism. I have reached out for help to AA. This was a brave action on my own behalf. I celebrate my courage today.

Step 8 as written: Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all.

As rewritten: I will make a list of all persons I have hurt in my life and all persons I have helped. I will take responsibility for my ineffective behaviors that have hurt others. I will celebrate my life-affirming behaviors that have supported others even in the most overwhelming moments of my addiction."

Step 11 as written: Sought through prayer ad meditation to improve our conscious contact with God was we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.

As rewritten: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with ourselves, praying only for knowledge of our own deep wisdom and the willfullness to carry it out."

- Patricia Lynn Reilly, Be Full of Yourself (205, 208)

No comments:

Post a Comment