Friday, November 11, 2011

Natural Massage Oil

When I was pregnant with my son, my once lush skin turned flaky and red. Nothing that I did seemed to help.

I finally began to make my own natural and organic oils. Every morning for the last 8 years or so, I have started my day with a self-massage before my shower. I usually start at my neck and work my way down my breasts, arms, stomach, back-side and legs. It only takes 5 minutes, but it is so good for your immune system, circulation and overall energy. Not to mention that my skin feels like "butter", as several people have told me....

Making the oil is easy. I started making my own because so many oils and lotions are filled with CRAP. I like to know what I am putting into my body, just like I like knowing exactly what I am eating. Processed food makes you feel bad and put on extra weight. Same with the stuff you put on your body. If you are adding unnecessary chemicals and ingredients, don't expect good results.

You can buy everything you need for about $30, and it will last you about 6 months. It will take about 10 minutes to mix everything and put it back into bottles. Trader Joe's has great deals on Vitamin E Oil and Grapeseed Oil. The other oils I buy at a natural food store, like Whole Foods or New Seasons.

Here is my recipe:
1 Jar of Coconut Oil (you will need to soften this under hot tap water or on the stove in a pan filled with water as it is a soft solid like butter)
1 bottle of Vitamin E Oil (Trader Joe's! - about $3-4)
1 bottle of grapeseed Oil (Trader Joe's! - about $3-4)
1 bottle of avocado oil
1 bottle of almond or walnut oil

splash of essential oils if you want some extra fragrance. I think the coconut oil and Vitamin E have enough fragrance on their own though.

Mix everything together until you are happy with the scent (if you are adding essential oils.) Put the oil back into the bottles. You can use the Vitamin E Oil bottle for a travel-size to take with you if you go away.

You can use the oil every day for a self-massage before a shower.

In the winter, if my skin is more dry, I do another massage at night and leave it on while I sleep.

You can also use it to wash off your makeup at night. Just rub it on with your fingers and then put a hot wash clothe over your face for 2-5 minutes. Rub off any excess. This will take away any oil and dirt and also moisturize you.

No comments:

Post a Comment