Thursday, November 10, 2011

Inexpensive Self-Care

I've been thinking a great deal lately about how little women are willing to invest in themselves.

Sure, they will buy any amount of clothing, makeup, jewelry, plastic surgery, exercise equipment, hair product, etc. to make themselves LOOK good, as their finances allow (or not).

But when it comes to women actually investing in themselves - i.e. doing things to make themselves FEEL good or get ahead in life financially, personally or professionally, there never seems to be enough time or money.

I have a lot of ideas about this, but one thing I wanted to write about tonight are ways you can take care of yourself without spending much (or anything at all!).

1. Give yourself a massage. (I will be putting up my special (cheap) recipe for natural massage oil soon!

2. Take a walk. (again, absolutely free!)

3. Have sex with a loving partner. Or, masturbate if you don't have one! (again, absolutely free!) Regular orgasms are so important. You will feel replenished and will glow!

4. Do yoga. If you don't know what to do, you probably have a CD lying around that you purchased but never (or rarely) use. If you have Netflix or cable, there are tons of great videos available. My favorite is Kundalini Yoga.

5. Read a book. (Again, how many books do you have lying around that you couldn't wait to buy, but never read?!)

6. Talk to a friend - on the phone or in person. How long has it been since you had a really great, laugh-inducing conversation with a long-time friend or sister?

7. Meditate. If you can't do it on your own, just try repeating one of these mantras:

I am healthy, I am happy, I am holy.

I love and approve of myself.

The universe supports me. I have all I need.

Or, if you are like me, you also probably have a million CD's lying around. Put them together in a sacred area (with your yoga CD's) so you have a place to go to replenish yourself.

8. Take a bath.

9. Give yourself a thorough scalp massage. Some peppermint essential oils works very nicely for this. Rub a few drops into the tips of your fingers and rub your entire head.

10. Have a dance party! Turn up your favorite music and have at it! If you have kids, include them. No one can not smile in the presence of a dancing child.

Here are some non-self-care items I try to avoid so that I can feel GOOD about myself.

- TV
- "Woman's" Magazines
- Watching, listening or reading "the news"

No comments:

Post a Comment