Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Forgiveness

"It's not enough that we forgive a few people; we must try our best to forgive everyone, for only love is real. If I withhold it from anyone, then I withhold it from myself. And it's not enough to love only when it's easy; we must try to expand our capacity to love even when it's hard."

-Marianne Williamson, The Shadow Effect, pp 156-157

(Note - I will say that forgiving and loving someone does not mean that that person has to be in your life when they are continually abusive. In fact, I'd say it is nearly impossible to love and/or forgive someone who constantly abuses you. But I try to forgive and wish someone well after closing that door so that the abuse can not longer occur. An abuser will continue to abuse you as long as you let them. And by letting them, I don't mean that you as the victim deserve the abuse. But unless you terminate the relationship, it will continue. So, sometimes the only way to love and to forgive, is to terminate a relationship and move on with your life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment