Monday, May 7, 2012

Shame

"The hardest part about my life ending is that I learned something hard about myself and that was that as much as I would be frustrated about not being able to get my work out to the world, there was a part of me that was working very hard to engineer staying small... Empathy is the anecdote to shame. If you put shame into a Petri dish, it needs three things to grow exponentially Secrecy Silence & Judgment If you put the same amount of shame in a Petri dish and douse it with empathy, it can't survive. Shame drives two tapes: Never good enough and, if you can talk it out of that one, who do you think you are?... Shame is highly, highly correlated with addiction, depression, violence, aggression, bullying, suicide, eating disorders..." - Brene Brown To see the entire Ted Talk, cut and paste this link: http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame.html?source=facebook#.T6HiFTazxsR.facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment